Back to the Basics: Undergarments

This is supposed to be the last post (or maybe not) for the series Back to the Basics where I explore all the essentials missing in my wardrobe. So far I explored cardigans, little dresses, pants and outerwear. Today is all about undergarment; this is the basics of the basics, the foundations of every great outfit. All of us have more than once seen a beautiful lady wearing a great outfit but as soon as she turns around, we see her panty line and shake our heads. We may even have been that lady. This is a big no no. Any outfit will look blah or just ill fitted without the right undergarments. And here is a list of what I think every girl (starting with me) needs:

Tank tops:
People wear tanks tops at the beach or around town come Summer. Me, I just use them as undergarments. I like to wear tank tops underneath sheer or super light tops. I am super conscious about my bra showing or leaving a mark so I always wear tank tops. I like the type that does not roll up. And if you cannot find those, bodysuits are also great if you can bear the discomfort down there and know how to pee in them.

Basic tees:
I live in basic tees during winter. They are the foundations of my wardrobe. I wear a basic long sleeves tees and build up my outfit from there. I really like the cotton ones Hanes make. In Japan, they make special tees that are super thin but will use your body heat to keep you warm. They call it Body heaters or Heattech. But you can find good ones practically anywhere. My dream is to get one in every color of the rainbow (and more).



Heattech body warming tees available at Uniqlo 

Slips:
I love slips. I find them super sexy and so grown up. And they also get the job done underneath dresses or skirts. It is something that every grown up woman should have in her underwear drawer..that and a corset (but that is another story)

Hosiery:
I am not really into hosiery expect for leggings that I find super practical. But it is recommended to have a good pair of hosiery. I prefer to stay away from the funky ones with all the designed stars and what not, and also the fishnet type (prostitute anyone?). If you must wear one, try the opaque in black or nude. And If you must go the color route, stick to one that you can easily be styled and is flattering on you.

Extra support:
For girls with a little meat on the bones or for any other girl with a different body type to what the norm is (whatever that is???), it can be hard to find the right undergarment. But never fear, there is a new industry of all kind of shapewear designed to make you feel better about your body. I am not even talking about Spanx (although I hear they perform miracles) but all kinds of tummy tucking, or curves creating shapewear. I have recently tried the trend and some of them do make you look like a million bucks. You just need to find what is right for you.



Assets Fantastic Firmers High waist mid thigh shaper at Spanx.com

The perfect Bra:
I do not possess the perfect bra. I have looked everywhere within my means but apparently it is not out there yet. I am just kidding. The perfect bra do exists. It is a bra that you should be comfortable with. For myself, it is a bra that will not make my breast look like cones or bazookas. I do not need a push up bra or a bra with wires that dig through my skin. I need a bra that is super soft yet gives me full support. And I am not really into the lacy flowery type. Just give me something in basic color like black, white and nude. (Leave the lace or extra for the bedroom please). Plus if the bra does not pop through my shirt, that would be great.



The Showstopper Full Coverage Bra by Victoria's secret 

The perfect panties:
Victoria's secret and its friends have invented all kinds of panties meant to make us feel better about ourselves, (and let us face it our men happy). I am not fussy when it comes to panties (reason why I am using the sames one after 4 years..shame on me!!!). But I know I like them in all colors. I also favor the granny panties and boy cut panties because I have a lot of junk in the trunk and need coverage. Recently (5 years ago), I have been into super soft seamless panties, that do not leave a mark when you wear them with pants.

Seamless Bikini Panties from Forever 21

It is hard finding the right undergarment. Therefore do not hesitate to ask for help. The first step is knowing your size and your body type. And a store clerk at any lingerie shop may be able to help you with that. You will see that with the right fit, and right type, you will feel better and your clothes will thank you for that...So shop on! I know I will.

Comments

Popular Posts