I dream of flats

Once or twice in this blog, I confessed my love of heels. But truth be told I rarely wear them. The main reason is that my feet being super flat, they cannot follow the arch  heels tend to have. Hence it is painful to wear and walk with them. If I had a car that would take me anywhere, I could bear the pain but I live in Japan where you really do not need a car to get around. Moreover, I am really not into that fashion is pain thing. I feel at best when I am comfortable. And I am comfortable when I wear flats.
People should adore flat shoes more. What is not to love about them: they are practical, they can easily fit in your purse if you want to switch shoes (which some of you do), you can run in them without breaking a leg. Moreover, the trend of flats is getting more stylish and edgier.
Here a a few on my radar:

The printed flat
Cynthia Vincent for Target printed flats (sold out)

Ever since I saw these Cynthia Vincent for target flats on the Net, I fell in love with the printed flat. My ultimate dream is to make my own with an African print I like so much. I am hoping to find a good shoe guy who can make my dream come true.


The two tone flat
If you want to add a little class to your flats collection, try one in two tone or with a golden tip. Gap Japan had a great collection in Pastel last year. Too bad they did not have my size.


Gap two toned flats (sold out but try Ebay or High end like Chanel or Lanvin)

The leopard flat
I loved leopard so much that I had not one but two pairs of flats in the print. I wore them all the time and as a result they fell apart. I have been looking for a replacement ever since without success. And now I am very intrigued by the leopard loafer. Shimamura was supposed to have some but only the black version was there last time I checked the store. I may get luckier in Harajuku's Takeshita Dori.

Espadrilles
Ever since my trip to Malaysia where I fell in love with a pair of multicolored striped espadrilles (that was not in my size), I have been obsessed with that kind of shoes. I loved espadrilles but with a wedge and owned several in the past. But this year, I want to get myself a flat one. Toms are great but a bit overpriced. However I got lucky in Houston while shopping at Ross; I scored these below for less than $14.

Report flat espadrilles via Ross

Here in Japan, there is great collection at Forever 21. And Bonita in 109 (pronounced Ichi Maru Kyu)Minato Mirai (3F) also carries the open toed espadrilles with a tiny bow (and a marine feel) that are quite cute and versatile as well.

Sneakers
I do not have sneakers not even for sports (I am not counting that neon weaved shoes I bought last year for my kid's sports day). It proves to show that I do not even work out. See, I am lazy like that. Anyway sneakers are also a cool way to do flats. Some even gives you that edgy young look. A mom friend bought some Nike Dunk High in black and purple to match with her daughter's white and pink. I would have never thought that it was her style but it suits her fine. As for myself, I really want to go the canvas shoe route. They look so simple yet cute. I found one in blue at 300Yen store (In all places) and you guess right they were 300Y. But as usual the shoes did not fit (being a tall gaijin sucks in Japan, let me tell you). But never fear, 390 Mart has some great in various colors (even leopard) and they carry men's size (which means a size 9 wearing gaijin like myself can get a shoe there).


Colorful sneakers at 390 Mart (Pronounced San Kyu Ma to)
Sandals
Come Summer, I just want everything to be as breezy and easy as possible. It is just too hot to be fussing with anything. The same goes to my shoes. I just need a pair (or pairs) of sandals that are easy to wear, and comfy to walk with. I really like them with less straps and in the tan or brown color (colorful and beaded would not hurt either). GU has a variety of sandals that will set you back to 900Y. Forever 21 are putting their sandals on sale starting at $375.


Selection of flats at Forever21.co.jp

The Rubber flat
Lately I have been interested in what I call the Barbie shoes. They are just shoes made out of rubber. But they are different from your jelly shoes as they are still cute and playful but a tad more elegant. Japanese ladies like to use them during the raining season as they can be Summer friendly rain shoes. Some of them are also very comfortable, hence perfect for running errands. I fell into the trend and purchased a knock off of these below for 315Y at the 300 yen store. I love the color of the shoes but they are a bit tight. I will still rock them for short timed errands. You can find these kind of rubber shoes in any zakka (miscellaneous things) in Japan. Speaking of rubber shoes, Crocs have started to develop cuter shoes for women recently.
Hot pink Rubber flats at 300 Yen Shop (located at World Porters Minato Mirai)

The Elegant flat
You know the one I am talking about. It is that kind of flat that you can wear to the office or an event  without feeling too casual. The kind of flats Mrs Obama would wear. They can be in patent leather, they can be strappy, they can even be slingbacks or bejeweled. Whatever pleases you. I am a sucker for these kind of flats but I am really missing some in my wardrobe (because I parted with a lot that were becoming toot tight. Who knew that if you gained weight, your feet would grow too?)

There you have it, my complete wish list when it comes to flats. Actually this is not the complete list, I omitted the oxford flats, the loafers and the boat shoes just not to bore you. As I spend 99% of my time in flats, I need many in different variety.

But before I go I will leave you with a picture of a flat that has been intriguing me. I am not sure it is in my taste (I am not a big fan of cats) but it is pretty different don't you think?


Charlotte Olympia Kitty flat seen on every celebrity from Beyonce, Katy Perry, SJP and Alexa Chung (to name a lot)


Personally I prefer the leopard

Comments

Popular Posts