what to wear at a wedding?

I have been obsessed with weddings for a long time now. Maybe the reason of my obsession lays in the fact that I did not get to celebrate my wedding. On my wedding day, I was shopping in Shibuya with a dear friend. I was wearing jeans and sweater. During the night, I had a nice dinner with my husband and that was it.
I always dreamed of having a wedding ceremony during which I would wear a beautiful dress. I even designed several in the past. Unfortunately this dream did not come true.
Now that I am hitched- and probably do not have the opportunity to get hitched again-my obsession has shifted from wanting a wedding ceremony to just wanting to be part of a wedding ceremony for the following reasons:
1- As I mentioned in early entries, my life is very plain. I usually do not go out or attend events.I do not get to dress up or wear fancy attire very often. In fact, the last time, I was at a formal event- except my brother in law wedding- was a year ago. Therefore, imagine my excitement when I get invited to a wedding or other formal gathering.
2- Weddings are so full or rituals and traditions. They bind two families together, and invite the entire society to witness it. I am not a big fan of traditions, but I can get pretty emotional when they are showcased during a wedding.
3- I enjoy sharing the love and happiness that takes place during a wedding. Everyone invited is supposed to be happy for the bride and groom. And I just want to be part of this enormous showcase of love.

As part of my obsession, I always think about what I should be wearing if I was to be invited to a wedding. Before deciding to wear the Hijab, I would definitely have opted for a knee length flowery dress with spaghetti strips and a shawl to drape over my shoulders. For me, a dress is the perfect attire for a wedding. It can make a statement without being too over the top. I understand that in western countries, wearing a dress for a wedding is the dress code. However, I do know that it is not the case for other places. For example in my country, like in may African countries as well, people opt for their traditional attire. Nowadays the traditional attire has a modern twist to it or inspiration from different horizons such as the middle east or India. That is why, if I were to be invited to a wedding now, I would definitely wear an Abbaya or Kaftan with lots of embroidery. Both styles are very lovely, flowy and can be simple or sophisticated. Yet they are very easy to wear. They do go perfectly with Hijabs.

Kaftans and Abbayas:





I would complement the look with a gold clutch ( I love gold), golden sandals and golden jewelry such as a cocktail ring, a bangle and a necklace. (If the Kaftan or Abbaya has a nice neckline embroidery, I do not recommend a necklace. Less is more)

Golden Clutch:
Nancy Gonzales Lezard Golden Clutch


Statement Heels:
Luichiny Satin Paisley sandals


Cocktail rings:



Bangles:
Yves Saint Laurant Ovale Bangle with stones


Multicolor Bangle


The idea is to get these accessories with colorful stones that mismatches or matches the Abbaya. The Hijab should be a different color from the Abbaya. And I could add a brooch to it, or just check for places that make or sell special Hijabs for ceremonies.


For all this planning, I have no idea when I will get to be invited to another wedding. yet it does not hurt to be prepared.

Comments

Popular Posts