How my style changed over the years (part I)

I love Fashion.
This is an over-statement because like some other people (Rachel Zoe is one I discovered recently) I do not breathe, live or die for fashion. I am just a little addict. Nothing over the top...or over my bank account.

I love Fashion. And I hope I do have a sense of style because like someone famous said: " You can buy fashion but you cannot buy style"

My sense of style changed considerably through the years. When I was 6-7 years old, I loved colorful, flowery, pretty dresses. I was absolutely in love with this two piece blue top and plaid wrapped skirts (Like the Scottish) that I would wear with blue Mary Jane's. I would put on that ensemble whenever I was invited to something special like a birthday party.

My plaid outfit during a party in Switzerland


At age 9-10, a friend of my father gave me this absolutely romantic, dramatic bright yellow dresses with tulle. I looked like a ballerina or a barbie wearing it. I loved it so much that I did not wait for a special occasion to put it on. I wore it at school underneath my uniform blue blouse. I even opened the blouse to show it all off to my classmates during recess and on my way back home. I was so vain, even at 10!
When I grew curves, I become conscious of my body, but also of the looks of people around me. Everybody was starting to notice my huge behind. My classmates even made fun of me. It was so intolerable that I transformed myself into an introvert dresser: I would wear baggy clothes-sweatshirts and jeans that I would steal from my father or brothers. My mother absolutely hated it. Top that with a trucker hat and I was in disguise.

One of my tomboy disguise during a Xmas celebration at home. This one is a dress up version: silk shirt from Thailand with black tights and the very fashionable (at that time)Nike Air Pump


I loved being a tomboy, because no one would notice me. It did have some drawbacks particularly when you are madly in love with the boy next door and his type of girl is the little vixen of the town (she was 13 year old and needless to say that I hated her). Although, I would have loved the attention that girl was getting from all the boys (she was very popular), I did not even try to become like her because it was not my style. I did try sometimes to be sexy: at parties I would show up dressed in a tight skirt or flattering dress. And I would feel great that boys would notice me and even try to hook up with me. However, it did not boost my confidence because the boy I liked did not pay me any attention. I became very depressed one day when my own brother told me that I was not sexy. I just let it go after a while. Nevertheless, the one thing interesting I found out about boys was that the moment I stopped trying to become sexy and just be myself (wearing clothes I like-being a short skirt,dress or even jean), they would like me more. I would wear this very old wrapped sarong with a green tank top and show up at my boyfriend's favorite hang out with his boys. All of them would fall head over heels because they thought I was stunning. My boyfriend called me crazy to walk around like this. I did not see the problem; my outfit was not special. The problem was that I was this bomb walking around with fitting clothes that did not leave a lot to a young boy's imagination. I did not even notice. How naive was that?
Something happened to my style of tomboy after a graduated from high school. All my school life (14 years) I have been in an all girls' school, and wearing dreadful uniforms. But in 1998, I moved to the local university with a huge campus filled with boys/men/potential suitors. The fact that I was surrounded by boys instinctively left a signal on my mind that I should change all this tomboy nonsense and become a girl. I started to dig out all the girly clothes my mother bought me over the years that I just hide in the back of my closet. It became a pleasure to dress up every day, particularly when you received approving nods from the boys' club. I did not care so much about what people would say about my curves (I did loose some baby fat). Au contraire, I was pleased that the pencil skirt I would wore flattered my thighs, or that the velvety short skirt would enhance my toned legs. However, I did not completely ditch the tomboy look. I still feel comfy with over sized men's shirt and jeans; the only difference was that now I was wearing tighter jeans.

Comments

Popular Posts