To my Friend(Sex and the city My review)



It was a hot summer afternoon that I reunited with the girls-or shall I say the old ladies-of Sex and the City. I was alone as I had predicted it. I was late, and missed probably the first 10 minutes of the movie.
So, for two hours, I sat alone in this theatre, enjoying the reunion of these marvellous characters, while sipping on some milk chocolate and chewing on Doritos.
The movie was great in the sense that I cried a bit, laughed a bit. It was everything that I had expected but at the end of the two hours, I was hungry for more.
Was it the sure rejection of Carrie at the altar by Big? It was so obvious that he was going to run that I wanted him to die instead. It would have made things more dramatic. Although I have to say that I was happily moved by SJP performance when she learned that Big was not coming. And what a scene when she throw her bouquet at him, repeatedly heating him on the head. I have never seen her so angry and it suited her.
Was it the fact that during the entire movie, Charlotte did not have any serious problems? Well, she shit her pants in Mexico but compared to the others, she did not have much happening to her. She is happily married to her not so handsome, but oh so wonderful Harry; she is the proud Mama of Lily her Chinese adopted girl-who was adorable except when she uttered the word "sex" after listening to the ladies. Charlotte even got pregnant at her age and against all odds. I was waiting for her to face issues with her new baby, to worry that her Chinese child would not adapt to the lifestyle. Hey! I even wanted her to argue how she should raise her Lily with her husband. But there nothing, Lily was the perfect child and did not cause any issues at all.
I was also disappointed that Samantha did not even cheat on Smith. She may have spy ed and even drooled on her next door counterpart neighbor. But she limited herself to watch him shag other girls, wishing she was next. Where is the feisty Sam I loved so much?
Miranda was true to herself, cynic, lonesome and so tough on men but weak when it comes to her girlfriends.
And what is this new character of Jennifer Hudson? They wanted to attract the black audience by having a black girl on the show. But what's up with her role? She talks ghetto even though she is a bit classy. And she is not even rich. I thought she was sweet and feisty too but I expected her to be as fierce as the other ladies. I guess they did not want her part to be overpowering. Nevertheless she just reminded me of Mama, the big black woman, who lend a shoulder to cry on for Scarlet(Carry) or scowled her when she was not behaving.
Whatever I said earlier, I enjoyed the movie. I loved the costume changes (80 for Carry only, and I do not how how much for the other ladies-A sigh for my sore eyes). I cannot wait to Google all the outfits the girls wore. I already found about that intriguing pair of shoes Sam wore when she was preparing a saucy and raw surprise to Smith for Valentine's day. They were the most unusual pair of shoes I have never seen. They are gladiator style stilettos with crystal fishbone design.

They are just amazing and so out of my range(they cost about $500).
I loved the dresses, the shoes, the bags, the hats, the hair cuts, even the computer. Well, I guess designers just had to beg for their work of art to be showcased like that. Because let me tell you this, the movie was more than a movie, it was a big commercial for labels like Manolo's, Vivienne Westwood, Vera Wang, Fendi, Gucci, Luis Vuitton, Chanel, Dior, Lacroix, YSL...I am exhausted just to type all these names...even vitamin water was showcased. Un-fucking-believable!!!

I will stop the complaning now to deal with the issue of the movie: FRIENDSHIP. The theme of Sex and the city was never about sex, the city of New York, fashion or finding true love. It was about friendship. It was about four women who loved each other and were there for each other no matter what: bad dates, night out, wedding, funeral, baby showers and deliveries, depression, addiction...anything you could think of. And I was reminded of that fact when I watched the movie. Those women were there for each other, like during the show. I was moved at how they flew down to Mexico just to comfort Carry. Or how Carry braced the call winter of New Year's eve to be with Miranda. I cried with them....thinking of the time when my best friend was there for me. I love her to death and she loves me back but she is not here with me to share my laughs and cries everyday like she used to. The movie reminded me of her and how I missed her so much. How I miss the days we used to seat in a crowded Starbucks in Shibuya, making plans for the future. I wanted to be a mother, a family woman (not a housewife, just a woman dedicated to family life). She wanted to be a career woman, flying from one country to another. Well, now we all got what we wanted. I am a mother and she is pursuing a career. I am not happy where I am at and I guess she could be happier. However, I still love her and she still loves me and maybe someday we will drift back in each other's lives and stick physically together for good.
Until, then I am happy I have her and I was reminded of that by watching Sex and the city. At the season-series finale Carry said this: "It is hard to find people who would love you no matter what. I was lucky enough to have found 3."
I am lucky that I have found you...

Comments

Popular Posts